Vegan. No mas?

Ok, let's be honest with one another. I haven't been "vegan" for quite some time, taking my vegan time-outs as I saw fit, and it just makes me feel really icky to have a label like that lurking over my head when I know I don't completely ascribe to it. It pretty much makes me feel like a trendy asshat, and I'm not down. So, I am no longer a vegan, or on a vegan diet. Much of what I eat will be vegan, as it is now, but I'm not going to let myself feel bad for eating eggs, honey or dairy from ethically-sourced, local providers. Hell, I'm probably not going to let myself feel bad for eating those things from non-local providers, where the best I can hope for is that it's organic.

A couple of my reasons:

1.  I stopped eating dairy and eggs because I couldn't control myself as a vegetarian with them as options. My previous vegetarian diet looked a little like this: cereal, ice cream, cheese pizza, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, etc. Basically, the pinnacle of unhealthy eating. I'm past that now. I love how healthily I eat, and I don't really want to change that, so I feel confident in my ability to add those things back into my diet without losing control. If I can't manage, I'll return to eliminating them completely. I've always really struggled to be in the middle, and it's a real marker of health (mental, more than anything) to be able to actually live in moderation. So, I'm trying it.

2. I've been thinking more and more about a comment Erin made a bit ago about all the processed vegan foods. At this point, I'm really concerned with things being healthy over them being non-animal products. I would much rather have a bit of sour cream or buttermilk than the list of chemicals that are clogging up the backside of my Tofutti Sour Supreme. And to be honest, I prefer cashew cream to all of them. Basically, I want my food to be real, and I have found a lot of vegan options/substitutions that I really love that fit that requirement, but a lot are just globs of chemicals and I'm not okay with that anymore.

So, we'll see what happens. I certainly can't tear into a hunk of flesh, especially not any meat that comes from the hugely disgusting factory farming industry. I'm not ok w/ meat in general, but I actually really like the idea of humans and animals living symbiotically in good relationships with one another, and there are a lot of farms around here where that's happening.

Today I did a nice jog to campus and walk back, which is just under 2 miles. The weather was so blissfully perfect I couldn't help but get outside. It's supposed to be rainy tomorrow, but back to good for the weekend. The weather does wonderful things for my attitude toward everything, including exercise.

I've been looking at a lot of body-building blogs lately (I don't really know why) and feel like I'd really like to start doing more strength workouts. I have P90X and The Bar Method, so I should try and do one of those a few days a week along with my cardio.

I'm out of Dave's. I ate the two butt pieces (is that what you call the ends?) w/ avocado, salt, pepper and grape tomatoes for breakfast. I don't really know how I'm going to survive w/o it, as I'm not making a Costco trip for another week. I suppose it's onto oatmeal or tofu scramble.

Lunch was a flat-out wrap w/ peanut butter, jelly and a banana. I can't believe how satisfying this meal is. I stay full for quite awhile, and it keeps my sweet tooth at bay. I also had a kind of hard pear.

Pocky! I ate a quarter of the package. I love Pocky! I also had a Tagalong, but made Veg keep the rest of the box in his office so I wouldn't be tempted, as I know I would eat the whole box if given the chance.

Dinner was kind of blah, just a salad and some mashed potatoes w/ sauteed onions, but I did discover something wonderful. Umebashi vinegar. If you like umami, you will love this. I don't know quite how to describe it other than salty and tart, but not briny. I made a salad dressing w/ it, olive oil, red wine vinegar and a little agave. The savoriness of the umebashi kept me from having to add salt, which is fine by me.

This is not the outfit I wore today. It is one of four. I was attacked by the barf monster so many times. Poor kitten just made some really gnarly pukes today. So, I wore this for all of about 15 minutes, but it is the outfit I intended on wearing today, so that should count for something, right?

7 comments:

  1. have you been to winco? they carry good seed and 21 grain like costco, but they also have the blues bread, which is my favorite. and if you're eating eggs...tomato sauce, sauteed spinach, and a poached egg on toasted dave's is just about the best thing ever.

    i forgot about this when you were asking for book recommendations, but you might dig mark bittman's food matters. in addition to sad stuff about the food industry and awesome recipes, he outlines the diet he's been on forever that helped him lose weight and stay in good health. basically, limit dairy to one meal a day (his is dinner), use meat as a condiment, and eat all the vegetables and whole grains you can get into your gut. (which i guess is how you are/have been eating anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't been to winco since it opened. i will have to check it out (i hate buying 2 loaves at a time, anyway). i'm stoked about eggs on toast, and w/ tomato sauce/spinach. oh boy-o. a friend has chickens, as do my parents, so i'm excited to eat their deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of the same way you are. I see the benefit of an all-vegan diet, but for me, sometimes it's just too hard to do it 100% of the time. I'm about to join weight watchers, and will try to do vegan most of the time at home, but when I'm out and about or at a friend's house, I'm not going to beat myself up if not everything I eat is 100% vegan.

    www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @brandy you'll have to let me know what you think of ww. i <3 it so hardcore (in case that's not obvious).

    i've been wrestling with the concept of vegan diet vs. veganism, and i think that they are two different things. i've been aligning myself with the latter when i've been doing the former. it's nice to just eat food and try to be healthy.

    i'm sure i've disappointed many of my vegan friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the willpower to go vegan or vegetarian! I am simply too much of a wimp! :) I like my MEAT! (That sounds bad... lol)

    Have a great day!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sarah i used to, but then i read animal, vegetable, miracle. i followed that up w/ all of michael pollan's books and then read jonathan safran foer's eating animals. after reading all those books i just couldn't eat meat anymore, and now, it just grosses me out...though i sometimes crave pepperoni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo, I'm so influential! Or maybe just so annoying. I'm glad though, in either case, that you are doing so incredibly well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete