ess to the ICK. alone.

Sorry I have been away, internet compadres. I spent Sunday through Thursday w/o husband, sick in my bones, with a sick tiny one. Basically, we were just trying to stay afloat around these parts this week.

I'm still madly in love w/ weight watchers. By the end of this month I'm pretty sure I will have lost all my pregnancy weight (25 pounds!) and man alive will that feel good.

I haven't been doing much as far as exercise goes, (unless you count cleaning the hell out of my house yesterday, and a walk to the park exercise...which they are, I suppose), but now that I don't feel so bound to the house and am not a constant mouth-breather, I am excited for that to change, too. I'm going to restart Couch to 5k outside. I can run for 20 minutes on the treadmill (well, jog), but outside it's still such a struggle for me. I even run on an incline on the treadmill, but I guess that's not enough. So, I'm going to start from square one, especially since it's harder with the stroller (fwiw, moms that want to run, scour craigslist for a  BOB. I got one that's about 5 years old for 75 bucks and it is by far the best mom purchase I have made). I'm thinking that I might actually like to run a 5k. Initially I just wanted to be able to run that distance, and even though the thought of a race paralyzes me with anxiety, I think I need something concrete to aim for. I'm looking for something in May. That's so freaking soon. I think babies/children might be secret time monsters that breathe hours in when you're not looking.

Cooking has been pretty lame, mere survival mode shi, but I have made a few tasty treats as of late.

Breakfast for the past few days has been a banana wrapped in a whole-grain tortilla w/ peanut butter and the most amaze-dog fruit spread, ever.
Sweetened w/ grape juice. So delicious. A little pricy, but not enough where it's prohibitive (though I make a lot of food exceptions to that rule).

My sister turned me on to a delicioso recipe for oven roasted potatoes (root veg, whatevs). 

2 russet potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
Olive oil (to coat)
oregano
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste.

Chop potatoes and onions, coat w/ oil and spices. Bake in a 425 oven for about 45 minutes. I put mine on a salad with baked tofu and let the face-melting awesomeness commence.

Last night I made tofu tikka masala. I used tofutti's Sour Supreme, which I think has a bit more yogurt-y tartness than soy yogurt does, and it's a bit creamier. I used Patak's Tikka Masala simmer sauce. It was ok, but I added lemon, coriander, agave and red pepper flakes. I also made sweet brown rice, which is pretty much brown sticky rice, and it is flat-out rad. I think I should probably make mango and sticky rice this weekend...

So yeah, I'm back(ish). Hopefully to be more consistent now that death is no longer lurking behind me.

4 comments:

  1. that jam is SO DAMN GOOD. i tried one of the superfruit spreads (the american one, i think) and was sad to scrape the last bit out of the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't Tofutti sour cream have hydrogenated oils? I've been disappointed with a lot of vegan products lately. They may not have any animals bits, but they don't seem very good for you either. What say ye?

    ReplyDelete
  3. tofutti makes 2 sour creams, one w/, one w/o. sour supreme does, better than sour supreme doesn't.

    i prefer cashew cream to both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you. a lot of the vegan subs are really unhealthy. i'm trying to use them infrequently, as they are my last hold-on in the world of processed foods.

    at this point, i'm thinking of adding local eggs and dairy back in small amounts--delicious whole foods rather than a bunch of chemicals. the operative term being SMALL amounts.

    ReplyDelete