Ketchup

I've been away from ye olde blog for a few days as I try to pack in as much fun/quality/romantic time w/ the husband before he heads off for a conference for 4 (FOUR!) days. I know there are women who have their husbands gone for weeks, months, years at a time. One) I don't know how they do it. I really don't. Two) This is the longest we'll have been apart since we first started dating (he was gone for 10 days at the very beginning of our relationship) and I'm kind of frantic about him leaving.

Anyway. We've been packing in the fun these past few days. I managed to do it all while remaining within my points (have we talked about how much I love Weight Watchers yet today?)  Last night we hit Pizzeria 712 (my favorite) and this morning we did brunch at Communal. People. If you live in Utah (or are visiting, whatever) you owe it to yourself to eat at both of these restaurants. Last night I had wild mushroom pizza with goat cheese and truffles. Lordy. I packed half of it up and saved it for today, thus salvaging my points. I also had a Devastator, which is a beast of a beer, making dinner all the more delightful. I generally steer clear of drinking liquids other than water, as I hate drinking calories. Booze is my all too infrequent exception to the rule.

This morning's brunch was out of control. An omelet w/ red onions and spinach w/ homefries, and the absolute best biscuit I have ever even thought about consuming. Communal is nice enough to post the recipe, I suggest you try it. Add a mimosa and some of the most delicious coffee I have ever consumed. Communal is pretty much my new favorite restaurant. I have been put off going there because I thought I was going to have to sit very close to strangers, but turns out you can just sit at a normal table like a normal person. Seriously, dudes. Go. To. There.

We had dinner tonight at Rice King Noodle House. If you're a veggie, you have to ask for their noodle dish that isn't on the menu, but it's pretty good. There were some chunks of fake ham in it, which I wasn't a huge fan of, but the rest of it was delish, and a healthy dose of Rooster sauce (sriracha) helped briefly clear my congested nasal passageways (too bad babies can't eat painful peppers. The tiny one is pretty snotted up herself).

As for my own cooking, things have been, well, for lack of a more descriptive term, arousing. I've felt so much more freedom in my cooking now that I'm doing points and not calories (isn't that weird? I'm basically doing the same thing, but my mind just clicks w/ points. I digress.) and I think it shows.
A few recents:

I decided to eat the same thing for breakfast that the baby was having, oatmeal and blueberries (talk about the makings of a messy diaper). I cooked mine (put the blueberries right in there to cook, I did) in unsweetened vanilla almond milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. It wasn't quite sweet enough for me, even with the berries, so I also added a couple of drops of stevia. This would work well with any berry, so I'm planning on trying it out w/ some frozen raspberries this week.
 Risotto! I have never cooked risotto before, so I was really pleased when this turned out to be one of my favorite things I've ever cooked. It takes patience, so I dragged the pack and play into the kitchen while I stirred for over 30 minutes. But, beyond the patience, it is really easy. I used veggie boullion, and finished it with Cupcake white wine. The peas and asparagus got a little more cooked than I would have liked, but that's an easy fix for next time.  The baked tofu is out of control. I ate like a pound of tofu. Not kidding. I couldn't stop. I have gone from tofu-phobe to tofu-addict.

This week I plan on starting yoga, keeping up with Bar Method, and doing 20 miles of walking/running, all while keeping up w/ my diet. Even though I feel sick, I feel really good about how things are going, and the changes I am seeing.

1 comment: