i romance weight watchers

Today, I wore the jeans that have been eluding me all these months, and they were awesome. I'm looking forward to many more fancy pants purchases in the future. I seriously, seriously am in <3 with Weight Watchers. I stayed completely within my points today, without any challenge. It's this whole being able to eat fruit thing that's completely saving me. I eat meals like normal (though I have added in the heaven that is complex carbohydrates back into my life. I am so much happier!) and then if I'm hungry in between, I have an apple, or a pear, or some grapes, and I don't worry about it.  Before, I was denying myself snacks because they cut into my meal calories, now, as long as I just eat fruits or veggies (though some have points--think potatoes, avocados, etc) as a snack, I don't worry a lick! An apple will tide me over for quite some time, and I don't spend the hours between meals thinking about what I'll eat next, or seeing how long I can go before I absolutely have to eat.  I think this eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day is going to be better for me. I was trying to do it before, but I was no good at it.

For breakfast, I had 2 pieces of Dave's Killer Bread (Good Seed) toasted w/ almond butter and a banana sliced on top. I also had half an apple.  For lunch, I made a deeeeelicious veggie sandwich with avocado, bell pepper, cucumber, spicy sprouts and spring mix. Dinner was so, so good. I'll post the recipe as well. It was super-easy, and super-healthy. I even managed to squeeze in a dessert of Haagen Dazs peach sorbet in. Turns out I can eat pretty much everything I want as long as I am willing to eat healthy portions. Huh. Go figure.

Spring Veggie Pasta (I don't know what else to call it) serves 2 w/ PLENTY of leftovers
1 1/3 c penne pasta (dry) (this is 2 servings of pasta, but you won't eat a full serving in the meal. Good tricks, filling your gut w/ veggies!)
1/2 yellow onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced (I'm a garlic fiend, what can I say...you could probably whittle this down to 3 just fine)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup broccoli
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 pkg extra-firm tofu, crumbled
2 T Basil
1 T parsley
1 T Oregano
1 T Tomato Paste
2 T Balsamic Vinegar
2 T Nutritional Yeast
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Cook penne pasta until al dente (about 8 1/2 minutes)
While your pasta is boiling, cook onions until soft on medium-high heat. Add vegetable stock and red pepper. You could pretty much just add all the veggies, but I added them as I chopped them. There's no real order to the veggies, except put the spinach in at the very end. Once vegetables are cooked, (about 10 minutes), add the crumbled tofu, spices, vinegar, tomato paste and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine, add drained, cooked pasta. Voila. I know. So easy, and so frakking good. I think it might also be pretty good baked and topped w/ bread crumbs or daiya, which I might do tomorrow w/ the leftovers.

It's so great, because you get pasta (PASTA) but you mostly fill up on super-healthy vegetables. Win win win, folks.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you weren't "allowed" to eat fruits and veggies when you were counting calories. Dumb. Yay, weight watchers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not that i wasn't allowed fruit (i was DEF allowed veg), but i would always opt out of eating fruit because those calories were contributing to my overall count--on weight watchers they are total freebies. just the way i like it (veg almost always are, anyway, but fruit seems like quite the treat!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your sidebar tweet about your WW success! Congratulations, that is great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete