New Week, New Workout

One of the things I love about c25k is that it pushes you at the most perfect rate. The beginning week was walk 90 seconds, run for one minute. Toward the end of the week I could feel my endurance kicking in and I was ready for more, this week as I started the new workout, which is 90 seconds of running to two minutes of walking, it pushed me to my exact limit. I try to make a point of doing sprints in my last interval, and I can tell that I'm getting stronger and faster.

A note: While I commend anyone who gets their ass out of bed to be at the gym by six in the morning, I have to admit, I'm puzzled by the large amount of denim present at ORC. I mean, if you're committed enough to wake up that early and get to the gym on an icy morning, aren't you committed enough to go get a pair of four dollar sweats at Wal-Mart? Multiple people rocking jeans. Very weird.  Also, an old lady who sits on the bike and pedals pretty slowly while she reads a church book and eats an apple. Old people gym-goers are the best.

Eating was much more on target today, though I should have had a more substantial breakfast, because it threw off my hunger pangs for the rest of the day. Breakfast was a measly couple of rice cakes with some Justin's chocolate peanut butter and a smidge of agave.  I should have followed it up with a mid-morning green shake, but after yesterday's disaster I'm a little hesitant.

Lunch was the best meal of the day. I'm beginning to really love lunch. I always eat when Evie has gone down for her afternoon nap, so the house is quiet and I can sit there and really take my time. I'm so much more conscious of how full I am, whether I'm hungry or thirsty, and I'm very rarely disappointed with my meal. Today's lunch was a Boca Spicy Chik'n on Dave's with hummus, spring mix and spicy sprouts, I also ate about 2/3 of a Fuji apple. It was so good, though the toast kind of rubbed my mouth raw.

After lunch was when things started to go a bit haywire. I was starving (and granted I still had about 1,000 calories remaining for the day, so I'm probably still ok, though I didn't bother tracking) so I ate a bowl of rice krispies with raisins and almond milk (not filling, plus, full of HCFS. Boners.) then I ate a bowl of butternut squash with lime juice. By the time I got around to actually making dinner I wasn't starving.

Dinner was a bit of a disappointment. It's so hard when you're trying out recipes for the first time (and, subsequently, jacking with those recipes) and not knowing what to expect. I made Cajun barbecue tofu, which was the real failure, butternut squash coconut rice and collard greens with pineapple. I was pretty pleased with the latter two, but the tofu was a real bummer. I'm still messing around with different techniques and today tried thawing and pressing frozen tofu. It's just not for me. This is probably the fifth or sixth time I've done it in my life and I've never been pleased with the results, so I guess I know now to stop trying.

I only ended up eating a half bowl (the picture is Vegs') because I was so turned off by the tofu, which means I was hungry about an hour later. I put a little agave and cinnamon on brown jasmine rice and added almond milk. I would have been content with just that this evening. Oh well.

Today, Evie turned 5 months old. I can't believe how quickly time is passing. And yes, I know every parent feels this way, and I also am aware that I started that sentence with a conjunction. We celebrated her near-half year with some peas mashed into her cereal. We know how to party.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! Eating at the gym while on the equipment? And jeans too! That is too funny!

    I've read a lot of success stories on C25K. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a cutie! I love the face he's making. I bet he has major personality. :)

    xo,
    Dreaming of Palm Trees

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in love with the faces your child makes. oh god. i have to suppress this urge to *bite little baby cheeks*

    ReplyDelete