Lazy Bones

Let's talk about my morning. I woke up at 5 to pee, (because you needed to know that) but I was so happy that I had another half hour to sleep. While I slept, I dreamt that I had woken up and had checked facebook on my phone, but that it was 6:15, which meant it was too late to go to the gym. I was so happy. Something about yesterday just took it out of me, and I was relishing in my old ways. But then, painful miracle of miracles, my damn alarm went off and it was only 5:40. Lucky me. I haul my drowsy self to the rec center, and find myself without a treadmill, or even an elliptical. I had to wait five minutes before some old dude got off an elliptical, and got 5 minutes into a workout when someone got off the treadmill so I was able to do my c25k workout. I did pretty much the exact same thing I did the other morning, though it seemed a bit harder thanks to the overwhelming tiredness. I fortunately have the best playlist to get me through the runs. How can you not want to move to old school Outkast, Girl Talk, The Black Keys, Jay Z, Cee-Lo, Rihanna, etc.? (

When I got home I felt much better, and since the kid was still sleeping, I was able to get some cleaning done (don't judge, I waited until her second nap before I got my stanky self into the shower), and I finally feel somewhat caught up in my house. I still have to attack the office, but beyond that, everything is under control, which makes me feel in control.

For breakfast I made the most delicious tofu scramble known to humankind and made a breakfast sandwich. I pretty much just used the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance, but sans mushrooms, plus fresh thyme. Here's the recipe if you don't want to bother with the book.

I added Lightlife's Smart Bacon which is possibly just a step above Beggin' Strips for dogs. Let me assure you, I was fully aware that it wasn't bacon (I'm not as stupid as a dog). It did provide a nice crunch and some saltiness to the sandwich, but I certainly wouldn't eat it plain. I put it on Dave's Awesome bread (duh...I swear most of my calories go there. If calories were stock in the company, I might own it by now) with a little veganaise and my entire face melted with an orgasm of deliciousness. Seriously, people, I thought about how good this breakfast was all day long. I even had leftovers on a slice of toast later on in the afternoon as a snack. The best part? under 500 calories!

For lunch, Bird treated me to a delicious sandwich w/ baba ganoush, avocado, sprouts and, get this, miso mayo. I know. I tried my hardest not to lick my plate, it's that good (definitely an indulgence, though, at 90 cal. per tablespoon).

Dinner, I knocked it out of the park again (sports metaphors? what is happening to me?). I pretty much took every vegetable we had left in the house (tomorrow is grocery day) and put it in a red sauce to put over pasta. Included: eggplant, artichoke hearts, broccoli, grape tomatoes and onions. Here's a little trick for you: you can make any bottled tomato sauce taste amazing with a few additions (faster and so much easier than making it from scratch, plus Classico's original doesn't have any sugar in it). I always sautee some minced garlic in it with some Italian seasoning. Here is the real trick though (or like, four real tricks): add a couple splashes of balsamic vinegar, tomato paste (from a tube), a squirt of basil paste (I have a penchant for condiments in tubes, ok? and parentheses, apparently), and nutritional yeast. It is so amazing. It's a little sweet, a little sour and a lot savory. This particular sauce is up there as one of my favorites.

I should add, my meal was probably 25 percent pasta and the remainder veggies/sauce. Stupid pasta is where all those calories hide. I should probably use whole wheat pasta, but the organic stuff from Costco is just so good (and the organic whole wheat is not...Vegs is not a fan, though it doesn't bother me).

I have amazing food planned for the next week, thanks to my new cookbooks. If I get a few more workouts in, I think I'll have had a hell of a week (in a good way).

3 comments:

  1. You made my carnivorous self crave tofu. You have a gift for cooking and describing food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason i never make red sauce, and i always kick myself about that when i do, because it's so easy. and fast! and cheap! tonight i made one with just garlic, chard, a can of diced tomatoes and the holy trinity of basil, oregano, and parsley. and, okay, a splash of red wine. now i'm wishing i had had some eggplant and artichoke hearts, though. yum!

    i can almost handle whole wheat spaghetti/fettucine, but if i'm gonna have pasta i'm gonna go all the way. i'd rather have a little of the good stuff than a big plate of mediocre stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kristina--i will cook you tofu one night, (ok, let's be honest, one afternoon) and you will never look back.

    cassie--the red wine, genius! good point w/ the little bit of the good stuff, i feel the same way. do you ever put cayenne in your red sauce? i kind of love heat in everything, but just a pinch does magical things.

    ReplyDelete