Wherein I learn about vegetables

I don't think I'm a stupid person. In fact, it's one thing I can always be pretty certain of, that I'm smart, that I get things. However, when I miss things I really miss them. For example, last night when I was reading the latest Krakauer book I realized that my entire life I thought the Washington Redskins were from Washington state. I was certain of it; then I realized how off I was (just the other side of the country). I don't care about football or sports, but it was so representative of how I view the world. I am so certain about the things I think I know it's rare that I take a different perspective or even entertain the thought that I don't have the full story.

I suppose that's a rather convoluted way of getting to my point: today I realized just how awesome vegetables are.  After going to bed rather hungry last night I knew I needed to make some changes if I were going to keep this up. As I looked for the most bang for my caloric buck I realized that I can eat sooooo many veggies before it ever becomes a caloric problem. Fill up on veggies and there's room for deliciousness, too!

A big part of this is the fact that I've never counted calories before. I've counted carbs, but now that I'm starting to realize the very simple math of weight loss (take in fewer calories than you need = weight loss!) I understand why eating vegetables works so well in losing weight. It makes me a little sad that it took me so long to understand this. I'm smart, right, so why didn't I understand?

I'm a little bit obsessed with my iphone app. I plug in exactly what I eat (most of the foods are already on file so it automatically populates the nutritional information) and then gives me a balance. It's like banking for my booty. For instance, I've hit my caloric cap today, but I think I'd like a little treat later on, so I need to do some exercise. Such a basic concept that alludes so many of us.

I also really love the whole food diary thing, especially when I take pictures. I feel so much more accountable for the food choices that I make.

For breakfast today I had steel-cut oats with raisins, slivered almonds, a spoonful of almond butter, a tablespoon of chia seeds and some almond milk. It might not be pretty to look at, but it was exactly what I needed. Filling, healthy and low-cal (well, enough that I didn't have to starve for the rest of the day).

Lunchtime came the epiphany. I was pretty hungry by the time I made lunch, so I really wanted to be able to fill up and have it last. Welcome, veggies. I had 2 pieces of toasted Dave's bread (seriously, dudes, get your asses to Costco and buy some. You're welcome) spread w/ hummus, a Boca chikn patty and about 2 cups of sauteed spinach (I just threw it in a pan with some garlic for a few minutes) all smashed together in a mighty sandwich. I also had about a cup of broccoli with a little bit of lemon juice sprinkled on it.

Dinner was so good (mostly because I didn't make it). Ashley made a delicious sweet-potato, black bean chili. I topped mine with a little Sour Supreme and avocado and cilantro. I think the beans will have me going for the rest of the night (not farting/pooping, just you know, energy).

I've had about 1335 calories today, right on target!

I'm feeling really proud of myself for doing this. I haven't ever felt this committed to the weight loss process before, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

3 comments:

  1. Not to ment the fact that we worked out to that terrible idiot and killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Errin this is awesome! I took a nutrition class at UVSC and one of my assignments was to keep a two week food journal, and then write a paper on, um, it. Knowing that someone would be reading about and evaluating my eating habits made me feel accountable in ways I hadn't anticipated. I found myself reaching for a few almonds or a handful of olives instead of a piece of cake (because I am vain and wanted to look really good on paper) and it was a very positive experience for me. I think your idea of a photo journal/blog is a great one. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the support, dudes. really, like you said erin, it really helps me be more accountable when i know i have to show other people.

    ReplyDelete