A delicious day

I'm thinking I need to up my caloric intake. Right now I'm eating around 1300-1400 per day, but I'm also exercising, which some days means my net intake is only around 1000-1200. I think I will aim to consume around 1500-1700, but also make sure I'm exercising every day. This way I won't be so hungry/feel so overwhelmed by trying to make such low calorie meals.  Three 450ish calorie meals is not much food. I mean, it is, if we're like, comparing ourselves to starving villages in Africa; by those standards I'm doing awesome. So, if I eat 1700 calories and work off 300-400, I'm back to where I need to be to lose 2 pounds per week. Oh, math, you delightful minx.

Breakfast today was Wasa crackers with Justin's chocolate peanut butter and raisins. Do you know about Justin's? It's all the awesomeness of Nutella, only no added sugar! They make almond and hazlenut (the true Nutella maker) as well. It's a bit of a splurge (ok, a lot of a splurge) but it was definitely a nice treat. I also ate my caveman style grapefruit. I hate eating grapefruit with a spoon, so I peel it like an orange and then peel away the pith and skin and just shove the tasty bits in my mouth. It looks much like a bear eating salmon in a river. Gross to watch, but fun for the bear.

Lunch was an attempt at faux tuna salad. I have some modifications I will make in the future (add TVP to the chickpeas, use less veganaise as it ended up a little bit wet, try hajiki instead of kelp powder for the fishiness), but overall I was delighted. I also had one of my last remaining apples from my CSA stash. I long for the days that Jacob's Cove is back up and running.

I had pictures of my lunch and dinner, but I've apparently exceeded my photo limit w/ Google. I purchased some more storage, but it isn't processed yet. Imagine very well-lit, artistically composed pictures of my comestibles.

For dinner, I pretty much blew my own mind. I made a big salad with roasted veggies (eggplant, haricot vert--or green beans for you non-foodies, garlic and butternut squash) and topped it with a recipe I saw on Everyday Italian yesterday. So easy: boil potatoes and when they are done and dry, you smash them and pan sear them in garlic oil. The dressing came from the same episode and is pretty much why I'm in such a pleasant mood. Zest and juice of 2 lemons, 1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, 3 Tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. I zipped it all in the Magic Bullet and, man, was my life made.

I really needed more protein today, as it was approaching nil, and I can feel it in my bones. I'll have leftovers of the salad tomorrow for lunch (probably) and will probably add some tofu or something to get a little protein in me. I should probably have a tofu scramble, too, though I dread making them.

Tomorrow I have such a feast planned. We have a few friends coming over for dinner to ring in the new year, and I have a vegan mediterranean feast planned: crudite and pita w/ baba ghanoush and hummus, spanakopita, falafel, chicken shawarmas (for the omnis), mushroom shawarma (which I think I made up), israeli couscous salad, and a veganized baklava. I don't think I will worry about calories tomorrow and just enjoy myself in moderation. We must let ourselves relax every now and again, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment