day one

Today was not as bad as I thought it would be. I've downloaded the myfitnesspal app on my iphone, and it's pretty great for keeping track of calories and exercise. I'm pretty motivated by seeing how many calories I have left for a day after working out and watching what I eat. I'm trying to net around 1500 calories (which is a lot more doable if I get in a good workout). I think I exceeded it by a little today, but I'm not taking things too seriously until after New Year's Eve (I have a party planned and am making quite the spread. I'll still stick to my plan as much as possible, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I end up eating 2,000 calories either).

Today's breakfast was Dave's Awesome Bread (it's truly awesome. So full of grainy goodness!) with almond butter and bananas.  I snacked on a Trio bar. The Trio bar was DELICIOUS, but also kind of a waste of 260 calories. I'd have much rather had something more filling.  I feel the same way about breakfast. Tomorrow I will go for some steel cut oats or a tofu scramble to up the filling power.

Lunch was pretty stellar. 2 Boca chikn patties (could have done with one, I think and had another potato) 2 small red potatoes smothered in hummus (a much better topping than margarine, no?) and some cucumber slices. This was really filling, but I think I might opt for baba ghanoush in the future (though I have a lot of hummus, so it may be awhile) because I prefer the flavor and it has about half the calories.

Dinner was AWESOME! We went to Mazza with one of my best friends and her husband and I had tea w/ cardamom (I could have cardamom in pretty much everything), a falafel sandwich, 2 dolmas (which I'd never had before, but loved) and some fattoush (also something I'd never had).

Overall, I stayed under my calories today, consuming 1,775 and burning 404.  I'm really proud of myself, and I want to keep it up.

My exercise wasn't great, but I still ran/walked for 30 minutes. I signed up for a couch to 5k on my phone and will try and use that as my cardio motivator. I'd like to be exercising for an hour or more, but I need to come up with more realistic ways to do it with the baby in tow, walking w/ her in the stroller needs to become a daily endeavor.

As I get ready for bed, I'd like to eat a little something, but am going to try and hold off until morning. I'm not used to eating foods that are so light, which is giving me something to work through. I've upped my water intake to compensate, but I've also been peeing more than I'm used to (I used to be a real water hog, so I hope to get back to that).

I feel good. I hope I can keep this up. I know every day won't be as easy, but it was a nice way to start.

2 comments:

  1. 1. It's awesome that you're doing this. Any sort of public change-my-life initiative is really inspirational, to me at least.
    2. I'm really excited that you're posting about what you're actually eating every day, because I am a dumbass who can never figure out what to eat.
    3. This is probably a dumb question, but how did you cook the potatoes? Hummus/baba ghanoush on red potatoes sounds amazing, and it's something I've never heard of and would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mel. i feel like i have to get pretty creative with what i eat doing this, so be prepared for some doozies.

    my magic way of cooking potatoes? the microwave. i'm classy like that. sometimes i'll boil a pot of them so i have them at the ready when i need them (which makes roasting them SO much faster), but for this particular meal? mean ol' mr. microwave.

    ReplyDelete